Monday, May 26, 2008

Wanted: more sun, less rain

O.K., so our "bucket list" for the three weeks off track hasn't been going according to plan. The weather is NOT cooperating, and we are soo far behind schedule on our picnics I just don't know that we will be able to catch up! We have been spending time indoors, the kids have been working on art projects, and perfecting the art of beating on each other out of boredom. For Christmas, Santa brought each of them art kits that we decided to break out. They looked so great, a huge recipe book of ideas, and paints, glue, glitter, dyes, measuring cups, paintbrushes... So we go through the book to find a project, and the dumb book has tons of great ideas with ingredients that they don't include in the kit (what the?) So after a couple of failed attempts at their ingredients I made a good old fashioned batch of salt dough clay, added a little food coloring, and it kept them entertained for the rest of the afternoon. The lesson you ask? Keep it simple, stupid. The salt dough works everytime, and you don't have to buy the crappy kit. Just 1c. flour, 1/2c. salt, 1/2 c. water, and 1T. oil. Add a little food coloring, and your set for the afternoon. We did catch one nice day on Saturday, so we went to Gardener Village to find some new bar stools. Can I first say that my bar stools are only a couple of years old, and they are beat to crap! I'm pretty sure the kids use them for WWF matches when I'm in the shower or something, not to mention for some unknown reason I had a weak moment and bought bar stools that had fabric seats, which of course look disgusting because the kids use them as napkins. Soo, the stool hunt was sucessful, as you can see I chose some fairly plain, easy to care for new ones, and I got a pretty good Memorial Day sale too! (That made Greg happy.) We wandered around Gardener Village for a while, they had a folk band playing, and great sidewalk sales at every house. The kids were drawn to the water, and the ducks, and Gage found a little garden snake that he a Trace both posed with for the camera. There was also a bullfrog that was huge, and too fast to catch a photo of. Who needs the zoo when you can just go to Gardener Village? And of course, whats a trip to Gardener Village without a candy stop at Sweet Afton's! (Who doesn't love their fudge?!) Today we broke the law (what can I say, we're desperate people with all the rain) and took our kids to see Indianna Jones. (My kids look 13 don't they?) Either it wasn't all that bad, or we are totally desensitized to what we consider entertainment. It wasn't my favorite Indy movie, but pretty good, especially for a rainy day.

1 comment:

Amy Peterson said...

Super cute new bar stools! Oh by the way it's me who plays WWF with your bar stools, I know I'll have to stop! Maybe I'm not a tough boy mom, because I think I would have peed just taking a picture of my boy holding a snake! You're so tough!!! Zoo trip soon. (I am the queen of incomplete sentences) =)