Friday, May 23, 2008

Stuck on time

So I'm still on the time thing. Today I went to the cemetary to visit/clean up my dad's grave. My cute little Gram beat me to the cleaning, and edging, so I just stood there and had a good cry, and remimisced to myself for a bit. In September it will be two years ago that my dad passed away, and in that time, I have spent a lot of time thinking about all the things I didn't say or do and aching for a little more time. The Today Show's Anne Curry just lost her dad in April after a short battle with cancer. She did a piece today about her dad and some of her favorite memories of him. She talked about how much she misses him, his corny jokes, the way he was always laughing and smiling. Anne also talked about documenting, with photos or video, and writing down things that loved ones tell you. Of course you reflect on your own life when something hits close to home. I miss a lot of the same things about my dad. He was always walking around singing some song under his breath, always a smile on his face, and I will never forget that deep quiet laugh he had. I also treasure the advice he gave me along the way, I still sorely miss being able to call him for his advice on this or that. My dad wasn't judgemental or proud. He was who he was, and I loved that about him. He had more friends than most people even meet in a lifetime. Life is short, sometimes way too short. I know I needed a lot more of my dad's time than I got. Just make sure you take time to spend time. Then write it down, and take lots of photos. I wish I had done more documenting and picture taking. By the way, the Beetles songs are for you dad, I sure miss you... love, Sunni

3 comments:

Amy Peterson said...

Not only can we treasure our parents and document our parents, but we can do this now for our children, life is so fragile, we never know when our time is gone. The best news is that there is life after this one, we will see our loved ones and have an opportunity to teach and love and have more "time".

Amy Peterson said...

two in a row is pretty good sunni!

Unknown said...

Nice post! You are a good daughter(and mom, wife, friend, etc...)