Thursday, August 12, 2010


Its Salt Lake County Fair time again. The fair seems a little bit magical to me. This year scenes from Charlotte's Web keep popping into my head. I've watched the 4-H kids get older, like Fern growing up with Wilbur. Some turned 16 and are now dating and driving...a little like Fern and Henry Fussy. And the past week has been full of preparations for the fair with Linda helping us wash and Boyd helping us shear lambs... like Mrs. Zucherman giving Wilbur a buttermilk bath. There may have even been a stow away that made it into the sheep trailer. Maybe as I type one of Charlotte's cousins is spinning a web over our sheep pens. Heaven knows there will be plenty of flies for it to catch for it's supper. And of course whether in rat form, or human there is plenty of glutting going on at the fair. Funnel cakes, Sno cones, Texas Tornados and the roasted corn smothered in mayo, then coated in parmesan, then sprinkled with chili powder, then drizzled with lime juice (Nacho Libre style) I've waited all year for an ear, and yes I HIGHLY recommend it!


Gage is wrapping up his 2nd year in 4-H. This year "Jack" the sheep has been the center of Gage's affections. Weighing in at a whopping 134lbs. it's much bigger and more stubborn than last year's model, "Tina".



Trace getting in touch with his inner sheep. Somebody loosen the chain around his neck!!

Aspen has been waiting all year to visit the petting zoo at the fair. Same animals as last year...just bigger!

Gage and "Jack" spectating at the pig races at the fair. Jack's ticket is tucked into his halter, but alas he didn't win... I guess he doesn't have that animal instinct of being able to predict things. We'll just have to leave that up to Puxatauny Phil.

I'm a little bit sad (even though I've cursed the lamb and the early mornings more than once this summer). This will probably be the last "citified" 4-H experience for us. I think my aunt and uncle are ready to retire after 25 years (a fair share of those years have been dedicated to kids other than their own). Who would have thought that hanging out in a stinky dusty barn with a bunch of sheep could be missed. And like Fern sang to Wilbur, "There must be something more to us than you and me...the something more I'm feeling must be love."

3 comments:

*The Thomas 3* said...

Nice to see you back in the blogging world! (I'm not the one to talk really). Call or text me and we'll schedule a session! Remember it's FREE! I'm not licensed yet!

allison wright said...

sunni i was so excited to see your post! that gage is as cute as can be and cody and i both got a great laugh at trace, classic picture. we just love your family and look forward to more updates!

Julie said...

Ahhhh! So cute! I love fairs too!!Except I hate Goats and such. I was nearly killed by one when I was 5. Ok, no I wasn't, but I was at a fair and had an Icecream cone and the damn thing chased me to try and steal it!!! I vividly remember the entire episode! To this day, HATE GOATS! :) We haven't gotten out to any fairs this year, will have the catch a few this month!